In this project, we are working towards helping the advanced networking community to overcome the “network awareness” gap! Specifically, we are developing multi-domain network status sampling techniques and tools to measure/analyze multi-layer performance on the Internet. The expected project outcomes are enhanced scheduling algorithms, measurement federation policies, and tools to sample multi-domain and multi-layer network status with active/passive measurements. We also are working towards validating our algorithms and policies with measurement analysis tools for network weather forecasting, anomaly detection, and fault-diagnosis.
The deployment of the project outcomes will be on testbeds to support networking for DOE science. For e.g., we will deploy our tools in the DOE’s E-Center for network performance monitoring of Tier-1 to Tier-2 Large Hadron Collider sites consuming data feeds from CERN (Tier-0). The project collaborators include: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, FermiLab, Bucknell University, University of Delaware, and Internet2.
- Prasad Calyam, Ph.D. (Principal Investigator)
- Mukundan Sridharan, Ph.D. (Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Lakshmi Kumaraswamy (Graduate Research Associate)
- Pu Jialu (Student Research Assistant)
- Experiences from developing analysis techniques and GUI tools for perfSONAR users
perfSONAR Workshop, Arlington, VA, 2010.
- Multi-domain Internet Performance Sampling and Analysis Tools
Internet2/ESCC Joint Techs, Columbus, OH, 2010.
- Multi-domain Internet Performance Measurement: Sampling and Analysis
Presentation/Demo at ESnet/Internet2 Joint Techs Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, February 2010.
- OnTimeDetect Tool for network anomaly notification in perfSONAR deployments
Presentation/Demo at Internet2 Spring Member Meeting “Network Tools Tutorial” session, Arlington, VA, April 2010.
- Prasad Calyam, Lakshmi Kumarasamy, Fuzun Ozguner:
"Semantic Scheduling of Active Measurements for meeting Network Monitoring Objectives"
IEEE Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM) (Short Paper), 2010.
- Prasad Calyam, Jialu Pu, Weiping Mandrawa, and Ashok Krishnamurthy:
"OnTimeDetect: Dynamic Network Anomaly Notification in perfSONAR Deployments"
IEEE Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS), 2010
- Research seeks to improve service for users of next-generation networks”, OSC Press Release, October 2009.
This material is based upon work supported by the Department of Energy under Award Number: DE-SC0001331. The views and opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the United States Government or any agency thereof.